Wednesday, September 23, 2009

TO DO: Port-f-in'-olio

I have something embarrassing to admit: I am a graphic designer and I don't have a portfolio site. I know, I know. Please don't think less of me. I was hired right out of college, so I never needed one and I've just never gotten around to it. Well, now I need one. I was laid off a couple weeks ago, sad, but on the plus side, it's just the kick in the butt I needed to get a portfolio site up.

A year ago, just before graduation, we were all given the task to make an identity for ourselves. After a lot of thinking, I came up with: Caitlin is Pretty Awesome, Design & Stuff. Long, I know, but it's kind of tongue-in-cheek and shows I don't take myself too seriously. I like it and I have a bunch of promotional material all made up for it already, everything but a website. I bought a URL last year, but I haven't done anything with it.

So, now I have to figure out how to make this site. I've been looking around for portfolio layouts that 1. I like and 2. seem simple enough for a novice web designer to pull off. Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Above: Rebecca Thuss. I like it 'cause it's simple. The navigation is just copy=easy, and the thumbnails allow work to be compared and seen as part of a larger design aesthetic, but, when clicked on, allow for a closer look. {rebeccathuss}

Jessica Hische. This is the same basic concept as Rebecca's site, just a little fancier. The thumbnails are always clickable, which is a major plus, and it just looks a little more like she knows what she's doing. I just don't think I know what I'm doing enough to pull something like this off. {jhische}

Neither Fish Nor Fowl. I like this site because it's more like a blog. It's not stuffy or permanent feeling. It would be easy to update with new stuff, and I feel like I could add more personality. The framework seems easy enough, too. {neitherfishnorfowl}

I think I'm leaning towards the last one, but I really don't know what I'm doing. If any of you out there have any advice, or know of anything that will make this process easier, PLEASE let me know. Thank yooou! :)

No comments: