Monday, July 27, 2009

Coconut Cream Pie

A couple weeks ago, I made a peach-berry pie for The Dalton Agency Bake-Off. The pie looked good (my first attempt at a lattice top and it was a hit), but it didn't taste very good (either the peaches weren't ripe, or I accidentally added grapefruit instead, 'cause it was SOUR). Anyway, Felicia let me borrow a glass pie pan, and to thank her I wanted to return the pan with a pie in it! So, that's what I did.

I remember her saying that Coconut Cream Pie is one of her favorites, so I headed over to my go-to recipe book, Epicurious.com, and found a recipe that looked pretty good, kind of intense, but pretty good. But after I got into it, I quickly realized I was in a little over my head. Pre-baking of crust, tempering of eggs, whipping of cream--all new for me, but I think I muddled through okay.

It was so creamy, with just the right amount of coconut flavor, and the pre-baked crust was crispy even days later. yum. I might have over-whipped the cream a bit, but I think I stopped just in time to save it. Felicia loved it and I must say it's one of my better attempts at, well, anything. It was so. good.

No comments: